The Garrett County Arts Council has announced a deadline for writers to submit their work for its 2023 literary journal Ginseng. The publication is a juried collection of local writers’ work, which is published online as well as in booklet form. The deadline for submissions is Mar. 3, 2023.
The entries will be juried by three independent area judges, with those selections then confirmed and compiled by the Literary Arts Committee of the Garrett County Arts Council. The writings will be published in book form, with this year’s cover art created by a local artist.
When the printing is completed, the Literary Arts Committee will host a “Page to Stage” event featuring the writers reading their work.
- Writers who wish to submit their work must reside in Garrett County or one of the contiguous counties and be a member in good standing of the Garrett County Arts Council. If needed, membership applications are available here or by calling The Gallery Shop at 301-334-6580, or visiting in-person at 108 S. Second Street, Oakland.
- Entrants may submit up to five pages of poetry (no more than one poem per page), or up to 10 pages total of short stories, creative nonfiction such as memoir or essay, or short stage plays.
- All submissions must be previously unpublished, original works by the author. Submission conveys first publication rights to Ginseng, after which rights revert to the author.
- Only electronic/online entries will be accepted here.
- A non-refundable, online $10 application/reading fee is due at time of work submission.
Writers with work selected for inclusion in the 2023 Ginseng will be notified by May 1, 2022. Please contact us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org for additional questions!
Layout was designed by M. Kendall Ludwig and Olivia Weeks of CurlyRed, Inc. The printing of the annual publication is sponsored in part by the Garrett County Arts Council, Maryland State Arts Council and Mosser Meadow Nurseries. Hard copies are available for purchase in The Gallery Shop (108 S. 2nd Street, Oakland).